Raising Backyard Chickens 101
Whether you’re new to the world of backyard chickens or been raising chickens for years, poultryOne is here to help. Explore a free library of poultry articles, resources, hatchery guides and an online Q&A forum to help you raise happy, healthy hens!
Why Are You Raising Chickens?
The reasons people raise chickens are as varied as the hundreds of chicken breeds themselves. For most, the hobby’s allure is because it’s a cheap and fun way to enjoy a self-sustaining lifestyle. Who can say no to perks like fresh eggs and free bug control in your vegetable garden?
Let’s Get Your Poultry Adventure Started!
Got a question that isn’t answered below? Head over to poultryCommunity.com to meet other poultry hobbyists and find answers to all your pressing needs!
Starting Your Backyard Chicken Flock
- What breed should you choose? Read more: Top 5 Best Chicken Breeds for Beginners
- You can buy day-old chicks from hatcheries or feed stores, and you can also hatch fertile chicken eggs yourself in an incubator. Read more: A Guide to Incubating and Hatching Chicks
- Your chicks need special care! Learn more: A Guide to Brooding and Feeding Chicks
Caring for Your Backyard Chickens
- Where will your new chickens live? Discover what makes the BEST chicken coop: Basics of Chicken Coops and Coop Design
- Your hens are hungry! Read more: A Guide to Feeding Backyard Chickens
- Feeding Layer Hens
- Prevent Your Hens from Eating Their Own Eggs
- A Guide to Calcium Supplementation for Layer Chickens
- A Guide to Using Chicken Manure as Garden Fertilizer
- Turning Chicken manure Into Vegetable Garden Fertilizer
- Common Health Problems Experienced by Egg-Laying Hens
- A Guide to Formulating and Mixing Your Own Chicken Feed
- How to Keep Your Backyard Chickens Cool in the Summer Heat
- How to Vaccinate Your Chicks Against Marek’s Disease
- Everything You Wanted to Know About Chicken Eggs
- A Guide to Getting Rid of Chicken Mites
- Feeding Chickens Vitamin Supplements
- Protecting Your Chickens from Hungry Predators
- Introduction to Breeding Backyard Chickens
- General Tips for Raising Chickens
- How to Cull Your Backyard Chicken Flock
- How to Feed Probiotics to Chickens
- All About Breeding Chickens and Chicken Breeds
- Chicken Health: Preventing and Handling the Coccidiosis Disease
- Chicken Health: Helping Hens Overcome Stress
- Chicken Health: Preventing Upper Respiratory Fungal Infections in Your Chickens
- Biological Structure of a Chicken’s Body and Health System
- Basics of Raising Broody Hens
- Evaluating Egg-Laying Hens
- How to Protect Your Chickens with a DIY Electric Dog Fence