PDA

View Full Version : Incompatible breeds?

Bellepeterson
03-08-2009, 01:21 PM
This is my first time purchasing a rooster for my hens. I have light brahmas and americanas. Is there certain breeds that would not be compatible with them? Should I stick to the same breed of rooster or does it matter?

Warsaw
03-08-2009, 01:28 PM
If you want to "make" chicks, and then want 100% prure breeds then yes you would want th same kind of pairs but if your like myself and many others and gather the eggs everyday then no it wouldnt matter if you mix and match

dragnlaw
03-08-2009, 03:30 PM
As Warsaw says, it depends on why you are getting a rooster! Seeing as you don't need him just for eggs.
Do you want to raise 'purebred' chicks?
Do you want to raise 'anykind' chicks?

or are you just getting him as a lawn ornament?
or to hear the cock-a-doodle-doo?

Answer the above and you have your answer!

whoops, did it again, Welcome to PoultryOne, Bellepeterson!
and let us know what you decide.... we're a curious lot here!

maranfan
03-08-2009, 04:30 PM
All sexes and breeds are compatible as far as reproduction.

Roland
03-08-2009, 08:50 PM
Hi Belle,and welcome!

Different breeds of chicken have different temperaments, and you may want to keep that in mind when getting a rooster.

I hatched some Ameraucana eggs last year and introduced the young birds into my flock of Orpingtons. I noticed that the Ameraucanas were almost hyperactive compared to my British breed, and when the cockerels got to a certain age, they bullied my two year old Orpington roosters who were twice their size. I got rid of the young Ameraucana roosters just so that I could have peace in the henhouse again.

Since you already have Ameraucanas, I would suggest that you don't get a rooster of a docile breed. The poor guy will have a hard time keeping up to its ADD afflicted cell mates!

The question I can't answer for you, though, is which breed will be a good fit that won't stir up the pot on the one hand and won't be beat up on the other! Maybe you should just get an Ameraucana rooster and avoid the problems that can come with mixing your breed with one that is far more docile.

Roland

Warsaw
03-09-2009, 06:24 AM
And yes I forgot to mention. Howdy and welcome !